HOME PROJECTS EVENTS CONTACT STORE FORUM ABOUT SUBMISSIONS

Go Back   Ronin Studios Forums > Ronin Books > The Colodin Project

The Colodin Project A modern murder mystery in 21 parts

Unread 09-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Writer

Default The Colodin Project: A Modern Murder Mystery

Hi there.

My name is Ken Krekeler, and I joined Ronin only recently.

I'm a 26 year old art student living in Detroit, Michigan. I have two more semesters until I graduate from the College for Creative Studies with a degree in Illustration. I've had a few freelance jobs here and there, designing logos and doing character designs, but nothing that could really be considered professional or corporate. Like most of you, I fell in love with comic books since before I can remember, and it's an art I deeply value and respect. And for many years, I have had a particular story which I have wanted to tell; a very specific story, with very defined characters and events.

The book is called "The Colodin Project" (kuhl-oh-din). It is a 21-part murder mystery. Two of the issues are completely done and ready to print, and I've started production on the third chapter. I've included a few samples:

My goals with the book are:

1. To submit copies of the book to Ronin Studios for distribution at conventions. Does this work on a consignment basis? How do you keep track of issues sold and profits made?

2. To participate in local comic book conventions, whether at the Ronin booth or an independent booth. I have had a lot of fun at conventions, doing character commissions, pushing products, networking. I would really like to get involved with Ronin on this. However, I am sort of restricted to cons within driving distance (Chicago Wizard Con, Motor City Comic Con), since I don't have a lot of money for plane tickets and stuff.

3. To erect a website, www.thecolodinproject.com, where people can go to order the books and find information on the product. The site will link to Indyplanet's online store to sell the books. When the site is complete, I will officially "launch" the books and start printing copies to submit to Ronin.

4. Submit copies to Diamond Distribution for the Previews Catalogue. This is the big goal I've had in mind for some time now. The big obstacle here is the UPC label thing, which I do not understand yet in the least. I am hoping I can hold off on the UPC thing until AFTER I get picked up in Previews; it seems presumptuous to purchase bar codes without a sure purpose for them. However, getting into Previews would be, for me, a major accomplishment, as well as a fair shot at something bigger.

The following is an overview of the book:

Private Investigator Steven Richards is telling the FBI a story. It is not a pretty story, and it doesnít have a happy ending, but itís got answers. And in a time when the world is falling apart, when calamity and mayhem are free to serenade in every street and alley from here to forever, answers are rare and beautiful things, and people will kill each other to get them.

Six weeks ago, police discovered the charred remains of a corpse floating in the river. The body had been strangled, stripped naked, and then tied to a raft made from garbage and twine. This raft was set on fire and sent sailing through the eastern harbor. The media dubbed it a ďViking Funeral.Ē The body was identified as Jerome Alcott, a homeless man with no enemies or possessions of any kind. The killer remained at large. Authorities had no leads.

That is until Richards took on the case, hired by an anonymous party to discover exactly what happened to Alcott, and who was responsible.

Things changed after that. Richards, a middle-aged ex-cop-turned-private-investigator, used to be a jaded, tired old man, divorced and estranged from a son he rarely sees. Back on the force, he used to work homicide, and he figured heíd seen it all; the dark and violent things sick people are capable of. Heíd examined suicides, interrogated suspects, consoled rape victims and closed more than 200 cases in five years. And when youíve achieved all of that, you tend to think there isnít much left in the world to see.

And then came the Viking Funeral.

Now, everythingís different. The rules donít make sense. Up is down and black is white, over and over, for all time. Because thanks to Richards, the case has been solved. Heís found Jerome Alcottís killer. He picked up the clues and followed the trail, a textbook process straight out of his days from the academy. And all he expected when it was all over was a fat paycheck and a nice vacation. Instead, outside, the world burns. And thatís just the beginning.

Things donít always turn out like we planned. Throughout our lives, we struggle to give ourselves meaning, to decide for ourselves our own purpose, our own path. Some of us find it in religion, some in science, some in art. And a few of us, those rare, precious few, find their paths in magic.

The FBI wants answers from Steven Richards. They say they want to know about the Viking Funeral. About the bodies being discovered, about the paperwork piling up. They want to know about the mysterious anomaly which occurred three nights ago, when, for thirty-five minutes, the silhouette of a gigantic, heaving monster could be seen on the oceanís horizon, breathing fire and roaring loud like thunder, until it suddenly disappeared in a flash of light. The FBI, they want to know how to stop the riots, the looting, the despair which has gripped every corner of the city. They want to know how to fix it.

But Richards canít help them.

Because to understand all of that, you first have to understand a single event, the event which set everything else in motion, which ties everything together. Events like this are often kept secret, guarded by those who serve and protect. And there is no secret better kept than the one about the Colodin Project.

That's it for now. I plan to keep people updated on the status of the project as it develops (although I don't know how interested they'll be). For the time being I just wanted to introduce myself and my book. Thanks.
Unread 09-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Writer

Is this a limited series or an ongoing?

1 projects on the horizon

2 projects in the works

Reviewer
-ProjectFanboy.com
Unread 09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Writer

It's a limited series, 21 parts.
Unread 09-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Writer

If your ever interested in doing a back-up feature, Let me know. I'm currently looking for projects.

-Shea Hennum

1 projects on the horizon

2 projects in the works

Reviewer
-ProjectFanboy.com
Unread 09-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Writer

Send a message via AIM to John Schlim Jr Send a message via Yahoo to John Schlim Jr

I'm having a hard time reading the type that small with my tired old eyes, Ken, but that is some serious pro-level art. I love your linework, the colors are very consistent and provide great mood, and the storytelling flows nicely...very cinematic. For what it's worth, I'm impressed.

Do they have sequential art at your school?

Last edited by John Schlim Jr; 09-15-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Unread 09-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Writer

Yeah, I'm fortunate enough to go to an art school where they offer courses in sequential storytelling, invented environments and character design. I try to incorporate my comics and school projects together whenever I can.

Thanks for the praise. I recently started work on the third book and I'm really excited to get it done.
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Writer

This is ultra-cool. Just checked the site, the story sounds really interesting.
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Writer

Also checked out My Nemesis. Cool stuff.